The almost 100,000 votes from 18 countries and 47 states have been counted. The creativity of over 150 people has been celebrated with displays and events.
Though Breast Cancer Awareness month and Reid Hospitals’ BRAvo! campaign seems to be winding down, the mission of BRAvo! continues full force – to raise awareness about breast cancer, the importance of screening mammograms and removing any obstacles that may discourage women from having their annual test.
“October is the highlight month for the decorating of bras, and our Signature Event and auction is the climax in terms of raising funds to pay for mammograms for women who cannot afford them otherwise,” said Jason Troutwine, Director of Reid Foundation, the organization the coordinates the BRAvo! campaign. “Our goal and mission, however, is year round – to remind and encourage women over 40 to get their yearly mammogram.”
The annual BRAvo! – Busting Out Against Breast Cancer -- event, which was launched in 2011, is described as “a fun way to talk about a serious subject.” Troutwine said the event should net over $30,000 after all expenses are paid. The money is used to cover the cost of mammograms for women who do not have insurance coverage or funds to pay.
Individuals, businesses and Reid departments decorated bras in honor of or in memory of women who have faced breast cancer or to promote breast cancer awareness. The bras were displayed in various locations throughout the communities served by Reid, then brought in for the “Signature Event” and auction Oct. 20.
Bras were competing in two ways – most votes, and most funds raised. The vote winner was “Rocky BRAlboa”, entered by Reid’s Health Information Management department in honor of the mother of two workers in that department who has been fighting breast cancer. The fund-raising winner was from Hoppe Jewelers, called “The Gem of Queens”. This entry was fifth in votes, but first in funds. That means it will be featured on the cover of the 2013 BRAvo! calendar.
The top 12 vote getters are featured in the calendar. They also included:
• Cancer -- “Just Beat It” sponsored by the Reid Critical Care Unit.
• Princess Warrior -- Arm yourself against breast cancer sponsored by the RPA Administration.
• Her-Story Tree sponsored by the Palladium-Item.
• Squeeze Ride sponsored by the Whitewater Valley Richmond Chapter of Harley Owners Group.
• Slammin’ for a Cure sponsored by the Earlham College Women’s Basketball Team.
• Suck it up Cupcake! Schedule Your Mammogram Today! sponsored by Reid Internal Medicine.
• No Boundaries sponsored by Holland Colours.
• Big Sexy sponsored by Reid Emergency Services.
• My Plates! sponsored by Reid Diabetes and Nutrition Education.
• Hootin for Hooters sponsored by Warm Glow Candles.
The bras can still be viewed online at www.ReidBravo.org.